PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2014, 13:15
wannabe_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rejection at application stage

Hello all,

I'm writing here in the hope of garnering some advice after my application to the FPP was rejected at the initial stage.

CTC was my chosen school and I ensured that I completed the application form with great care. I submitted the application 7 or 8 days after the window first opened. I felt that I performed adequately in the multiple choice questions and I also paid great attention to constructing coherent, informed and well structured essay responses.

It was with great disappointment that I received the rejection email from BA recruitment in December and I subsequently re-read my submitted application in the hope of spotting where I went wrong. I was unable to spot any mistakes or areas lacking so I emailed and spoke on the phone to CTC twice in the hope of attaining some feedback. As was to be expected due to the thousands of applications they had received they were unable to provide me with any feedback.

I am under no illusions as to how competitive the FPP scheme is and appreciate the quality of the successful candidates will be exceptionally high. However I was particularly disappointed that my application didn't even make it past the paper sift stage.

I have spent the last decade attempting to increase my chances of being successful in my desired career as a pilot. I undertook flying scholarships with air cadets, played sport, completed my Gold D of E, ensured I performed well at A-levels (AAB), went to a good university, and most recently made sure that I've played an active role within the University Air Squadron.

While there will be numerous candidates with far better CVs than mine I still felt despondent that I was rejected at the initial stage. I've evaluated and reflected on my application and what may have let me down, but have been unable to reach any conclusions as to what these weaknesses may have been - and therefore have little idea what to do differently if FPP runs again at the end of 2014.

Some ideas I've had that may have contributed to my application being rejected are:
  • My University course is a humanities one (I know officially this isn't a precluding factor)
  • I didn't do maths A-level and only got a 'B' at GCSE
  • CTC appears to be the school that has received the most applicants
  • I performed to a lower standard than I thought in the multiple choice questions
  • The 'qualities' I outlined as being required by BA pilots in my essay answer were not what markers were looking for
  • The CTC staff members simply didn't like the sound of me when looking at my application!

As you can see I've racked my brains for where I went wrong and sought feedback from CTC so I can try and learn from the process, however I have been unsuccessful in doing so.

If you've read this far - thank you. This is a final (and likely frivolous) attempt to try to get a better understanding of what I can learn from the process. If any of what I've said above stimulates a suggestion as to why my application may have been rejected - please do let me know. I really want to explore every avenue in order to better my chances of succeeding next time round at what really is an unrivalled opportunity.

I look forward to any possible replies. Thank you.