PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 16th Jan 2014, 11:52
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
F3WMB: There is no money.....I say again......
tuc: 1. There is no money
Biggus: Oh - by the way, THERE IS NO MONEY!
Utter bl**dy hoop I'm afraid! According to this site, the UK Govt has some £719 Billion per annum to spend. A new MPA may be around £2B for a good quality system. There is money available, it just requires a change in direction. Whilst £2B is a lot of cash, this does not exclude innovative options such as lease purchase of aircraft using the C-17 model, which although more expensive in the longer term would allow for a less expensive introduction to service. Who knows, under this model, the first aircraft could be funded from Defence's current underspend.

I agree! QED it is not "insurmountable".
It is insurmountable - we do not have that amount of money to waste on a platform that (now or in the near to meduium term) IS NOT viable. Perhaps you should see if you can dig out the Dstl report into the viability of the UAV as an MPA/MMA.

another MPA thread which will, no doubt , expose the lack of maritime awareness of the majority of the RAF

the senior maritime officer
In the maritime air environment the senior bloke at the time was probably.................

a group captain. Do you seriously think that a gp capt could get in to brief those who should have known better? The halcyon days of a proper group structure ended when 11 and 18 were amalgamated in the mid/late 90s.