PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 15th Jan 2014, 08:59
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
impressive quoting skills SS !
SS has deleted his original post that I answered, then changed the quotes around to suit.
Sorry, I had to change that because the original looked as if I was quoting AnFI as saying the bit about the switches, which he of course he wasn't, he was quoting from another source.

The thing about AnFI's reference is that the person in the tale got into the habit of leaving the transfer pumps on in order to not fall into the same trap of the tall fellow in the tale, that left them switched off. (Presumably, tall chap forgot, on this one occasion, to switch them on during the start up/pre take off phase as per the 105 FLM?)

The quoted person, therefore never did a shutdown or start up as per the FLM in all his time on the 105, and when the time came to complete a proper start up, with all the switches correctly in the off position, because of the non conformal procedure that had become his habit, the transfer pumps problem arose. (Not being a 105 man, I presume there is no transfer pump warning light that would say they were switched off?)

If the man in the tale had adopted the habit described on a 135 there would be a few indicators the pumps were off, not necessarily to prevent actual flight with the transfer pumps off, but at least they would tell the pilot that they were.

For example.
Switchology - Prime and transfer pump switches are next to each other. Post engines start, prime pumps are switched off, transfer pumps are switched on.
Visual indicators - When the prime pumps are on the CAD indicates this. When the Transfer pumps are off, the CAD also indicates this. Monitoring of fuel levels.
Procedures - Pre flight systems checks, Pre start checks, Pre take off checks, Take off checks, 'CAD indications'.

If the habit adopted by the chap in the tale quoted by AnFI was to 'follow the instructions in the FLM' instead of adopting his different set of start up/shut down procedures, then the problem he found himself in wouldn't have happened. Nothing to do with a complexity or simplicity of any particular system, simply a human failing from not following the correct procedures.

I'm often asked, why do you switch off the inverter?
My answer, because that's what is says to do in the FLM when closing down.

Here's a 135 question, how many engines are running when you do the Hyd checks?