PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2014, 05:36
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diametric dilemma and the teddy in the garden!

Prince:
what we really need is for everyone who believes the new CAO 48 rules could be improved to get off their arses and have their say - the Senate needs a sound basis to disallow and the more sectors that offer amendments and the greater the commonality the stronger the case
Kharon:
If 'industry' is not aware that the necessary debate to repeal the CAO has not occurred, let alone done and dusted, we may just be saddled with more 'bad law'. And that, Prince Nick, is the problem as I see it and my reason for posting. Happy to stand corrected.
Yep I think you nailed it "K"...

Here's a possible scenario...

All interested industry stakeholders do get together and propose a Senate petition in support of disallowing the current CAO 48.1 instrument...tick!

The petition garners a couple thousand signatures and gives the ammunition required for the Senators to get up NX's DM..tick!

So the Minister is forced to pull the instrument and then what??

He sends it to the department to be fixed and the department sends it onto Fort Fumble (as they are recognised by government as the experts on all things that fly)...

Then FF do another bogus consult with industry, Hoodoo Voodoo and his cronies change the wording a little bit, maybe add another dozen or so pages and send it off to be re-drafted by the AG's department, the end product is eventually re-entered into parliament a couple years later...

Hmm..."round and round the garden runs the teddy bear..."

Fantasy Land solution: To circumvent the teddy bear routine if (big if..?) industry could collectively get together and rewrite the instrument to the NZ regs or FAA regs and then hand to Senator Nick to present, with the petition, a private members bill to be put to the Parliament. Hmm..well it is a fantasy...??

Reality: Unfortunately until someone grows some pretty big cohunas and is prepared to take a gas axe and a couple of grinders to the bureaucratic iron-fist of aviation safety (or there is at least two smoking holes with mass casualties) we will be stuck with the bear running around the garden.