PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 06:43
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feds run a protection racket for the bureaucrats??

PNM:
Has anyone seen any evidence of the RRAT Committee actually referring the alleged breaches of the TSIA 03?
How about this Prince Nick....from Hansard of CASA - RRAT, 18/11/2013, Estimates:
Senator XENOPHON: But, Minister, with respect, the Senate unanimously handed down its findings, and they were scathing findings by any objective measure. It was a damning report of CASA and the ATSB—absolutely damning. No-one can criticise the methodology of the committee and the forensic work that the committee put into this.

Insofar as there are a number of recommendations made based on what the committee found to be very serious failures in respect of the Pel-Air investigation, then surely that is relevant in looking at systemic failures on the part of CASA and the ATSB.

Senator SINODINOS: I do not think we are talking at cross-purposes. I am just saying that this is not a forum to replay the whole of that investigation.

Senator XENOPHON: Yes, but insofar as the Senate made a number of recommendations that were scathing of the ATSB and CASA—

Senator SINODINOS: All of which is on the public record.

Senator XENOPHON: from my point of view we do not want it swept under the carpet. There is a genuine concern by all members of this committee about airline safety in this country.

CHAIR: There was some dramatic downgrade of the incident.

Senator XENOPHON: That is right.

CHAIR: What was it from?

Senator XENOPHON: It went from being a safety issue identified as critical to being downgraded significantly. That is something that Senator Fawcett asked many questions about. There were issues about whether CASA and the ATSB colluded or not. That was raised. Can I remind the minister that the committee took such a serious view of this that it referred the evidence to the Federal Police for investigation into whether there was a breach of the TIA legislation.

Senator SINODINOS: I think we are in furious agreement.

Senator XENOPHON: I still do not know how the panel is going to do its job if it does not give privilege to people.

Senator SINODINOS: Having listened to all of this, we will go away and get advice on how we can handle this in a way that means that—

Senator XENOPHON: If you can.
However given that the former PM KRUDD couldn't get the AFP to properly investigate the PMC bureaucrats (see here)...

Access was sought to a copy of the referral letter sent by the Hon. Kevin Rudd MP to the AFP seeking an investigation into the unauthorised release of a video onto YouTube.

"Dear Commissioner Negus

Re: Investigation of offenses associated with the theft and illegal transmission of a video recording

I write following my referral of possible criminal activities to you on 14 March 2012, my meeting with your senior officers on 29 October and your written response to my referral provided to me at that meeting. Copies of relevant records are attached.

In the first instance I wish to reemphasise to you that as an ordinary Australian citizen I take these offenses seriously. Also as the immediate past prime minister and foreign minister of Australia, I take these offenses seriously. They do not constitute a trivial matter.

As I noted in my referral of 14 March 2012, the stolen video recording in question was downloaded without legal authorisation, edited without my consent prior to being uploaded to YouTube, then released through a YouTube account for the explicit purpose of damaging my reputation nationally and internationally; and that notification of the existence of this YouTube video to the Australian media was first through an anonymous phone call."

...what chance have we got that the Feds will do a proper job of the Senate referral for investigation of the trough dwellers (bureaucrats) at Fort Fumble??

Quote slightly adjusted for the Feds:
"I gained the very distinct impression that this constituted an ex post facto justification for a conclusion that had already been reached rather than a genuinely dispassionate AFP investigation of the factors involved."
That said it would be interesting for the RRAT committee to request a copy of the AFP PROMIS file & case notes to scrutinise the thoroughness of the Feds investigation...

Last edited by Sarcs; 3rd Jan 2014 at 06:54.