PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Coolest Place You've Ever Pinned Your Wings?
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 21:18
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Being somewhat used to visiting strange places, I guessed that check-in at the hotel would be chaotic. So I briefed the co-pilot (TDLFCC) to get off the coach and go straight to reception to book us in - and we would sort out his luggage. Which worked a treat - we all had single rooms whereas some Jag Wg Cdrs had to share. Sorry chaps!

I also learned the Czech for "Very sorry, there's no transport" - "Ees ten minute valk", whether that's 5 or 20 min!

A great, eye-opening trip though as the wall hadn't been down long and the locals were still getting used to their freedom.

My hotel room had an en-suite shower. This was a shower head on a length of hose hanging down from the lavatory ceiling. I declined its use! Also, there was a radio in my 'luxury' room which only covered the old OIRT 65.8-74 Mhz FM band - no longer in use. It hissed and popped, but couldn't find any stations!

But what a friendly, hospitable country. Apart, that it is, from some rather oily ex-MiG 21 pilot we met, who was trying to make a living flying a Cessna 172 and clearly missed his previous lifestyle.