PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2013, 12:40
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EZY @ SEN

It would seem the domestic routes do not work well from Southend. To be honest I'm surprised they've kept the 2x weekly Jersey service now it goes 3x daily from Gatwick. Amsterdam seems to be a strong route with up to 3 flights per day.

It's really quite frustrating though! What we have seen with the BFS and now the EDI route is frequencies cut at Stansted as they start operating the route at Southend to then be axed with the capacity not put back into Stansted.

Now I've said this before so I know this is going to anger quite a lot of people but I'm going to say it again regardless...

EasyJet is probably going to attract little more than very local predominantly outbound leisure passengers going on popular sun, ski or city break holidays. It's a market that Southend covers very well and I'm sure will continue to do so for a very long time. But I continue to question the viability of such routes if EasyJet were to continue the likes of Alicante or Faro from Stansted.

The lack of a rail service in the morning and late evening periods is off putting to business/commuter travellers not to mention that Southend is the furthest from Central London even if it is only by 10 minutes. Furthermore the range of facilities such as hotel, car parking, transportation, shopping or business lounge options are much more limited when compared to Gatwick, Stansted etc. which further reduces the appeal to such passengers.

I believe that within time EasyJet's growth at Southend will stagnate. Maybe we are already reaching this stage. The airport will become more orientated by popular European sun, ski and city break destinations. This is already evident by the routes we have seen introduced and axed more recently at the airport.