PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2013, 15:32
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
SMOC
Ever flown to china? please explain how your would brief the relevant bits

All I'm saying is a blanket statement of briefing taxi plans is not always practical so I can see Check Airman's point, going through the motions as part of an SOP knowing full well that the taxi instructions are very fluid and unlikely to be "as briefed" is pointless. It's probably to do with the fact that I'm flying in Asia where the obvious taxi instructions are rarely given.
You obviously missed the point about it being a first step in orientation as to the possible routes to the runway and taking a good look to identify threats. If all you're doing it blabbing out a route and not taking a good look and considering threats, then indeed there would be no point. All you're really saying is you don't want to put any thought into it beforehand. That's your choice, but your stated reason for not doing so is weak and doesn't wash.

China is not singular, or different than any other case/location as far as the stated reasons (establishing orientation, emphasizing/prioritizing vigilance, identifying threats before movement begins) for doing it are concerned. I've flown into/out of China and domestically/internally in China oh, probably a couple hundred times over the years and its nowhere near the worst-equipped, dysfunctional, or confusing place out there. LaGuardia, O'Hare, or Boston are crazier with taxi clearance changes on a busy, lousy day. Airport infrastructure/lighting/signage and paint on the pavement are far worse in half the airports in Africa and S. America than what you'll find in the Peeps Republic. And you speak of not bothering because you'll get changes in instructions, in China at least you can usually understand what ATC is clearing you for. If you have an idea of where they're likely to send you, understanding the clearance as spoken becomes much easier.

It's your prerogative not to brief the taxi. It's your prerogative not to brief or anticipate anything during your entire flight if you can convince yourself it's not really worth trying due to how dynamic and changeable flying is. Blow it off, it's your ship, but if anything happens in the end it's you who'll have to do the explaining as to why whatever bit you was a big surprise.