PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 24th Dec 2013, 00:40
RONTOM-EGPD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAA CAD Test

Hi All,

I'm new to PPRUNE and so far I like what I'm seeing on pilots with colour deficiency.

I'm currently 4 hours and one ground school exam away from my PPL. I went to Gatwick last week to go through a class 1 medical examination because one day, I'd like to go commercial hopefully. I new I was colour blind to red/green and I'd read up on this CAD test. I thought at first the CAD test would give me the chance to pass the full medical. Unfortunately I couldn't have been more wrong. I thought the CAD test was a complete farce!! Not only did it make me feel extremely nauseous with the flickering around the screen but it was totally irrelevant to the safety of flying an aircraft at night! Where the hell did the CAD test come from?? What a complete waste of time and money! What gives them the say on whether or not I am safe to fly in the dark?!? Maybe I'm missing the point?

I've read up on that extra testing they do at the City University in London and was wandering if it's any more relevant than the CAD test. If so, does anyone out there know how to get in contact with the Uni to arrange an appointment.

I've been flying on an NPPL medical declaration since I started my PPL training. But now nearing the end, I'd like to hold a full class 1 medical so that I can go on and do my IMC and Night Rating.

Any help on the matter would greatly be appreciated. Thanks folks.