PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2013, 21:04
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A four horse race?

Xenophon " I note that the Canadian TSB has been commissioned to undertake an independent review of the ATSB’s reporting processes.
Not, for one moment would anyone seek to question the personal integrity of the Truss review panel members; but, is the 'review' starting to look just a bit soft around the edges? Time will tell the tale. However, from a purely turf accounting (bookie) perspective the odds against a meaningful epiphany need to be carefully evaluated.

If it is to be open slather on who reads the submissions, then perhaps some form of 'open' progress reporting or even public hearings should be contemplated. I'm not certain that I like the idea of all 'private' sit downs with panel selected individuals or groups. The Senate inquiry conducted the 'public hearings' very well, being both productive and informative. Surely a hearing room could be afforded the review, the big name public submissions discussed in open forum. The 'secret squirrel' concept of this review needs to be exorcised. It would be nice to see the panel actually doing the job, not phaffing about in 'camera'. Will there be a record of 'in camera' interviews a`la the Senate?. This review panel may need to rely on a little more than blind faith if it is to have credibility and succeed where other previous 'reviews' have failed. I think LS quoted some 20 odd failed attempts over the last 25 years, that cost - combined with the estimated AUD$ 250,000,000 dead loss on reform is starting to be a big number, even for a 'flush' government.

It is of concern to many that at the last ministerial iteration old Trusty was not a stellar performer and disappointed many punters. It is whispered that the special advisor has, on many occasions, publicly stated that CASA must not be criticised. Now, speculation is rife, is the Canadian connection 'muddled and complex'?, (thinks Montreal). There is a persistent, widely held precept that the MoC only appears to provide an establishment figure head; which only leaves the mystery Pohm (thinks EASA) to be evaluated. There is much speculation amongst the troops; theories of divine intervention in the form of the PMC; arguments that the Senate crew have an agenda to take over; there's even a notion of pointless, profitless effort being wasted against foregone conclusion; a letter to Santa being the preferred alternative for direct action.

Selah.

Last edited by Kharon; 21st Dec 2013 at 21:17.