PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 19th Dec 2013, 06:02
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Dear Dr Pape

For your info Doc the QONs from Senate Estimates have just been released and there is three outstanding QONs (one written) posed by Senator Fawcett that will be of interest to you. These QONs are due answers by the 10 January 2014.

Cheers

Sarcs

132 CASA 02

FAWCETT: Safety – Colour Vision Deficiency

Senator FAWCETT: I will come back to that at another time. Thank you for that clarification today. On another issue of safety, does CASA have any record of incidents or accidents in Australia arising from pilots who have a colour vision deficiency?

Mr McCormick: I will have to take that on notice.

133 CASA 03

FAWCETT: AAT Challenge

Senator FAWCETT: I recognise that, and if you look at Australian aviation history, with things like DME and T-VASI we have led the world on a number of occasions and the rest of the world now thanks us for that. My concern is that there is considerable talk and concern within the industry that CASA is not only seeking to prevent this person from exercising the privileges of an ATPL but is in fact seeking to wind back the decision to pre-1989—pre the Denison case—to realign itself with the FAA and other people. I am just trying to understand whether there is in fact that intent, but, also, if the evidence base is very clear both in the Denison case and in the thousands of hours of flying since, that pilots can operate safely, then what is the safety case for not actually allowing someone to exercise the privileges of an ATPL?

Mr McCormick: As to the exact nature of the AAT proceedings, I would prefer not to talk about it. We will take on notice your question about whether we are attempting to withdraw anything. The issue around medical standards is that quite a lot of these medical standards are not set by CASA. In fact we do not set any medical standards. We use whatever the expertise in that particular area says is the requirement, unless we have good reasons to do otherwise. The fact that we have had many years without accidents or incidents—and I will assume for moment we have not, but I will take that on notice—I think we are in a situation where, to go even further, we would need more than a safety case. We would most probably need medical science to tell us that that is probably not too far. As I said, we are already out in front of the world on this. So, we are not actively trying to stop anybody doing anything, but we do have to exercise some degree of caution.

140 CASA 10 (written)

FAWCETT: Safety - Colour Vision Deficiency

1. What resources has CASA provided in the AAT investigation of colour vision deficiency in the current AAT investigation? Please provide details in terms of:

Current AAT case (to date)
CASA dollar inputs
Number of CASA personnel involved
Total CASA man hours
Third party man hours
Third party costs

2. What is CASA's total allocated budget for the current AAT hearing- forecast or approved as per table above?

3. How do all the above figures compare in broad terms to the AAT Denison case of 1989?
Link: QONs index

ps Oh and I forgot to mention that the bureau are conducting a search for incidents/accidents where CVD was a factor..
141 ATSB 01

FAWCETT: Safety – Colour Vision Deficiency

Senator FAWCETT: I assume you have been watching on the monitor the proceedings with CASA. Are there any accidents or incidents or concerns in Australia that have been brought to ATSB's attention as a result of a pilot having a colour vision deficiency?

Mr Dolan: I am not aware of any investigations we have undertaken where a contributing factor to an accident was colour vision deficiency. My colleagues might have a different view.

Mr Walsh: No, we would have to take it on notice to do a search of the database to see if we have any cases on record.

Mr Dolan: We will search the database to confirm, but we are reasonably certain that we do not have one of those.