PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2013, 05:30
moa999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timax,

I'm not saying anything about versions of the past. I'm simply pointing out that fleet decisions and config are very difficult as future demand and competitive response are very difficult to forecast.

I am merely an interested observer with no vested interests in any of the airlines, save for wherever my super is invested, but have some experience in managing difficult businesses that compete in global industries.

My personal views is that Jetstar (both Australia and International) was/is a good move by Qantas by keeping inhouse most of the domestic LCC growth in Australia (which was inevitable no matter who funded it) and at least giving Qantas a seat at the table in Asia, although I unfortunately think the LCCs based in Thailand, Malaysia and ultimately China are going to dominate due to cost basis.

Qantas definitely made a bad move by not ordering 777s about 5-yrs ago when the 787 issues first became apparent in order to get rid of its rapidly ageing 747 fleet for routes that weren't A380 sized, but that would have potentially meant running five widebodies in transition periods (A380, B747, B777, B787, A330 which gets back into Ansett style issues)

The Emirates deal I understand from a customer perspective, although don't see why it didn't mean QF adding PER-DXB-FRA or similar style flights. The misstep was not consumating a similar deal in Asia (obviously had discussions over years with CX, MH, SQ etc) but that is a big missing piece - but then apart from access to QF FF program and corporate contracts there isn't much QF offers (particularly to say CX who already has far more frequency into Aus than QF)

As for what Qantas means to me. Well it will always have a substantial Australian presence and trade-off bits of Australia heritage, but the reality is it already substantially an offshore product.

I mean I call-up to book a flight and am diverted to an offshore centre, probably owned by an American company, who books my ticket using a GDS owned by another American company using computers and software that come from wherever. I board my American/European made plane as are the engines and most of the components, with seats and IFE made overseas, although there is an Australian movie and radio channel, and some embarrassing Australian produced safety demo. The fuel was driled in the Emirates, refined in Singapore and shipped to Australia by a Chinese owned, some random nation flag carrier ship. My meal might have been prepared in Australia, but equally at a foreign port from the local caterer, my can of Coca-Cola is actually made in Thailand. If Qantas actually makes a profit on my ticket, 39% of it will be distributed to be foreign shareholders. Ooh and the pilot has a South African accent, no but he must be Aussie.
Then again it could have been Irish.

My choice of airlines is based on $$$, destination, frequency and then things like lounges and FF programs. In the last two years I have flown Qantas, BA, Singapore, Cathay, Iberia, American, Malaysian, Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic, Delta, Jetstar, FlyScoot, AirAsiaX, Air Asia, Garuda and Bangkok Air