PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 14th Dec 2013, 13:40
170'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chop Jock

Someone who doesn't fly much OGE hovering might be primed I agree,and they should be! But by far; most slingloads percentage wise are performed by people who do it all day everyday and it becomes just a standard flight regime.When I'm assembling something with a 150-200 foot line, I'm mostly focused on not screwing up and hurting someone on the ground/tower or whatever. That and not looking like a schmuck if I do screw up!
The actual flying is just automatic.

In my experience and speaking only for myself. I do not respond in 1.6 seconds (I read somewhere I should) It takes me longer than that to think
F*** what is it now!

As I said earlier, it's impossible to stay primed and ready for immediate action all day long (very long days in utility work). It's such a normal procedure you can compare it to taking off from a runway for an airplane. yes a degree of alertness is always there, but fatigue and sometimes boredom take their toll.
We as a species are just unable to function in a constant state of super heightened alert.

Just an opinion, with no math or stats to back it up ;-)

Last edited by 170'; 14th Dec 2013 at 13:58.