PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 13th Dec 2013, 10:17
johnobr

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Despite CASA's denial that they're not seeking to wind back the clock, I concur with Arthur Pape's original post that documents lodged with the AAT tell a very different story.

Although the third level of testing included the signal gun tower light test, CASA conceded its value had been called into doubt. It said it was looking at a British test as an alternative.
For an example of the British test (the CAD) which they are looking to introduce refer to my post #18 on Page 1 of this thread. It's not representative of anything that 'simulates an operational situation' as required by the regs. It's just a glorified game of Tetris.

If they want to test an operational situation, why not come for a few jump seat rides or better yet observe some simulator sessions? I guess the problem with that is that they would actually realise that CVD's perform identically to pilots with normal colour vision in all situations.

No wonder they're not interested in a common sense approach like that - perhaps they're a little worried that the entire CVD standard might just be proven irrelevant?