PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 12th Dec 2013, 07:48
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave did exactly what he was trained to do in this sort of emergency. The blame goes to the simple fact that the critical importance of applying aft cyclic quickly when power is lost to the rotor system has been kept from all of us since rotor blades were invented. Cyclic Back must become an integral part of all helicopter training and publications. This must not remain a secret any longer!
????? Since when has this been a secret? I learned it when doing my PPL around 16 years ago. "Down, right, back" as my instructor put it over and over again, referring to collective, pedal, and cyclic, but meaning that I should do all three together. Everyone else learned this too. As an instructor, that's what I learned in my FI course, and subsequently taught. It's in all the books. It's common knowledge. No secret, and I find it ABSOLUTELY impossible to believe an experienced police pilot didn't know about it and do it.