PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Army leaning towards new scout
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2013, 20:13
Lonewolf_50

Received 393 Likes on 244 Posts
Oh, Comanche, too bad you died on the vine ...

Had the Army been able to get Comanche into the field, I think this question would be moot, and both KW and Apache would be phased out to be replaced by a single TMS. But that's speculation that we could never prove ... too bad.

Deployability: I seem to recall that you can fit a lot more KW's into a C-17 than you can Apaches if you are trying to return to "CONUS based and deployable anywhere" as your force structure model. Granted, POMCUS and pre-positioned material also fit into that mix ... not sure how aviation heavy such postures are. Been too many years since I was in that side of things.

This raises the question: what's the Army think that it's next 10-20 years of operational environment is going to look like?
ROC/POE is written based on a best estimation of the expected operational environment.

Last point: more drones, maybe more unarmed scouting, hold the "punch" until you need it, and use a variety of fires (airborne, land based) to take care of targets as suitable to the RoE.
I hear rumor that Army is going for armed UAV's now ... maybe something like Predator or Reaper? If so, that sounds like a bun fight in the making with the USAF over roles and missions ...