PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Nov 2013, 10:34
industry insider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless wrote

Can you not see the correlation between the practice of looking at Accidents as isolated events and not a long list of factors?

Both crews were doing an Instrument Approach....both either were or seemed to be doing a Non-Precision Airport based Approach....both hit the surface despite having autopilots, co-pilots, had passed training and checks, and four people died in each event.

The FAA and NTSB each limited their reviews with the Crew, Aircraft, and ATC....and gave scant mention to anything else.

Is that what you want the CAA and AAIB to do on the Shetlands crash....take the short view as you seem to be a proponent of that by your last post.
....and they were both helicopters!

Firstly, the CAA are the regulator not the investigator. Secondly, their involvement into any North Sea helicopter safety investigation has been ridiculed on this thread. Thirdly, the AAIB is normally very thorough and professional in these investigations, taking the long view and considering all contributory factors. Fourthly, I do not agree that these accidents have much in common. Fifthly, I believe that management has a huge role in the prevention or otherwise of accidents, safety culture does start at the top.

Yes, the NTSB and the FAA limited their views in the Bell 412 case, they can be a little light in their respective analyses as we all know.

The so called "cooperative investigation" between the helicopter operators has so far not amounted to anything more than a nice signed letter. The Shields Down will never happen in my opinion.

Sometimes, I think you post rubbish, just for the sake of posting.