PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith to ASA: "See you in Court!"
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2013, 09:56
Kieran17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can I'd like to present an alternate view to the mandate of ADS-B.
I am an air traffic controller. My airspace in part, is a large section of Western Australia, and excluding a small (comparatively) area around Paraburdoo my airspace is procedural. My traffic is largely comprised of FIFO traffic servicing the multitude of mine sites around WA but also all the traffic from the Mid-East and some from South East Asia.
I procedurally control traffic every day, but traffic levels are growing, and quickly at that. Airspace utilisation is high.
Now, some separation standards: within surveillance coverage, I only need 5nm laterally/longitudinally. 4.9nm is a breakdown of separation, 5nm is golden.
Procedurally, best case is 20nm, that's with speeds locked, distance checks every 30 minutes. If there is a faster following aircraft same level, distance checks are done every 15 minutes. The maximum closing we may have is M0.06 or 35kts. If there is more closing speed than that, the separation standard is 10 minutes.

So here's the situation: front plane is a Phenom Jet cruising along at F380 doing M0.73 nil ADS-B. Following aircraft is an A380 from the mid-east, having been flying for the last 10 hours, also at F380 but cruising at M0.80 and with a bit of a tail wind is grounding at 600kts. The only separation standard is 10 minutes longitudinally. With the A380 doing 10nm/minute the breakdown of separation occurs when the A380 is 99nm behind the phenom.
Instead of being able to have 15 or so aircraft in that space we can have 2. That's it, 2.
Another one. Lets say that you're heading back into PH in the evening at F400 when you get your 15 minute delay, you want to do down to F300 to slow down, if there's a non-ADS-B jet below you at F380, you're stuck, expect holding within radar coverage.

Now I like Mr Smith, I like his house in Gunderoo with the mini train, I think he does a lot of good for Australian aviation, I buy his food, I shop at his stores from time to time and I was disappointed when his electronics stores stopped selling electronic components. I do however think that perhaps he ought be directing his frustration at the aircraft/avionics suppliers vs against something that has been on the notice boards for years.

Anyway, that's all just my insight/opinion.
Kieran