PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 61 - Special Pilot Licence
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2013, 23:24
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Industry (IOS) quotes from Phearless Phelan article

PP: Understanding the rules – Opinion

Preamble to industry quotes...

..."Those repeated assertions prompted irate responses from individuals and organisations. Some didn’t mind being identified while others explained that they held various CASA certificates and a wife and kids to feed. One actually drew our attention to a fast-track process buried in a CASA manual that helps you identify somebody as a fit and proper person {WTF??}. So we’ve de-identified the lot..."
  • “It’s interesting how [Director John McCormick] is happy to front all the media about the implementation, but he’s nowhere to be heard when it‘s postponed. Instead we all get a media release from Peter Gibson blaming industry for all the delays!”
  • “I feel insulted by the CASA machine. It says that the reasons why they are deferring the implementation of Part 61 in part are ‘to give the industry more time to prepare’. Can anyone advise when the first education programme started in earnest? My first awareness was during a two day ‘professional development programme’ (PDP) meeting for Approved Testing Officers in September 2013.”
  • “Only starting to understand the new rules?” They haven’t circulated them yet. Where’s the Part 61 MOS?”
  • “As for ‘Despite the long lead time’ etc–we’re alleged to be at fault. With whom did they consult? Organisations? Only? Well, I belong to organisations and I haven’t seen them. I also am an affected individual and I was not consulted. Nothing was drawn to my attention. I was not asked for my opinion. Were any other individuals asked for their opinion?”
  • “The fact that CASA hasn’t produced a Manual of Standards (MOS) that will be ready by 4 December 2013– obviously didn’t count – were we supposed to write that as well? Are we, the industry, are all so stupid? The whole thing smacks of ‘process versus outcome,’ which is what micromanagement is really all about!”
  • “Only starting to understand?That describes the apparent subject knowledge of CASA people when we ask them to explain the intent of a particular regulation. I was embarrassed for the CASA guys at the PDP meeting because they were obviously not informed, trained or equipped to explain the material they were promoting, or its outcomes; and they apparently weren’t allowed to answer questions. Also when that “consultation” took place (it was supposed to be a ‘personal development program’ meeting,) the actual draft rules hadn’t even been published yet so there couldn’t be any meaningful dialogue.”
  • “It would be easy to form the impression that CASA is among the organisations that are “only starting to understand,” especially when you review the mountains of amendments that have closely followed the recent launches of sets of regulations.”