PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 09:43
HOODED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onyxcrowle. The runway at LBA is 7380 feet the 1800 you believed it to be was probably in meters before the extension. It was 5400 feet. I always thought they sbould have extended it to 2500 meters rather than the 2250 meters or 7380 feet is is currently.
DSA is 10000 feet if I remember correctly it had a small extension when peel bought the place from the MOD, and yes that would be enough for 777 flights as it's the same length as MAN. As I mentioned though if you look at Boeings take off requirements for the 773 at sea level even that is not enough for a Max AUW take off!
AC rarely take off at Max AUW and a 772 could do ISB from LBA in most conditions but would be unable to take cargo or full tanks not that they would need to. The problems at LBA is its higher 682 ft AMSL which means air pressure is lower and therefore more runway needed for take off. Hotter weather has the same effect. Also as a condition of the granting of planning permission for the extension the runway threshold was displaced resulting in less landing distance available. Whilst the runway is 7380 ft tbe landing distance is just over 6000 ft on 32 and less than 6000 ft on 14. This is another problem as 14 has a steeper glideslope due to high ground on approach. Put simply LBA is very tight for the bigger long range stuff.
As for Shaheen as far as I am aware tbey never operated from DSA only LBA. Air Blue would be ok but couldn't do it direct. Remember PIA are serving the large Pakistani community in Bradford so goi g from DSA is almost as bad as going to MAN for them.
LBA is twice weekly with PIA but only as they dont want to hurt their MAN operation.Shaheen were at 3 weekly and talking about more/adding Lahore before they were unable to extend the lease on their A310. PIA tried to pull out a while back as they are having problems and opeating from MAN and LBA doesn't really make sense but Shaheen operating from LBA badly hit their MAN loads so they decided to take over the route themselves rather than risk someone else stealing the pax. Hope this answers your questions.

Last edited by HOODED; 22nd Nov 2013 at 10:41.