PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ambo runway incusion
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2013, 10:48
RENURPP

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
I've gotta say I'm concerned at some of the comments here. "You missed him, he missed you, suck it up", "These things happen, leave it alone", you can surely tell the reason why "these things happen" going by these comments.

Yes, **** happens. No argument there from me. Never will be, either. But to suggest essentially sweeping it under the rug is astounding. For me, if you start rolling on the reciprocal runway as I am turning, or established on, final I will report the incident.

Not because I want to see you keelhauled, but because the potential for my bugsmasher becoming a KingAir's hood ornament exists - and if it is a near-miss this time, what happens next time? Or the time after that? Sooner or later, "**** happens" will result in someone - possibly one of you - getting dead.

We have the means to highlight incidents like this quickly and effectively now - why not use them? Learn from them? Try and prevent them?

Quote:
But he/she may have been on the final leg of a brutally long shift and had a lapse of judgement.
Not having a go, but here's an example. He's had a right prick of a shift. Lots of flying, lots of approaches, he's tired. Are the operators fatigue management policies sufficient? What controls are there in place for situations like this - or is the self-reporting method the only one? People are the worst judges of their own fatigue. Can the operator do something to assist in eliminating these tiring shifts? Not if they aren't aware of the incident, no, they can't.

If I stuff up, learn from my mistakes. They may just prevent you making them.
Here here!