PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 18th Nov 2013, 06:31
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I think understanding the dangers of the more difficult parts of the flight envelope is key here.

As a result of this accident, during EC225 simulator training, We now force this error on the crew during SEMA approaches (SEMA only provide 3 Axis mixed mode with the pilot responsible for the collective vertical channel). Simply asking them to reduce speed in this condition to 60 KIAS is usually enough to destabilise the approach and create confusion as the helicopter flight path slides back up the power/airspeed curve.

This exercise helps the crew to recognise the dangers of low speeds in mixed mode operations and emphasise to them to avoid this.

We also apply a similar philosophy to OEI landings, deliberately flying an LDP at 1/2 speed at MLW, resulting in a crash into the lead in lights.

Simulator training is ideal for demonstrating areas of the envelope that we should try to avoid. It needs to be briefed beforehand to avoid negative training but the effects on crews is dramatic. After one crash into the lights they monitor there speed at LDP like hawks.

Consider the good pilot. You sit behind him and he meets all profile parameters accurately and appropriately. You tick all the little boxes on his form! However, does he really understand the dangers of the bits of the envelope you have not seen him explore??

Introducing "Exercises to Failure" into initial and recurrent training is a good step in the right direction. In fact some of the posters on this thread who feel that manual flying skills and intelligence will save them from these errors would probably fit in my "Above Average" category and paradoxically benefit from this type of training.

For the record, the Commander of the accident aircraft is a qualified Civil Engineer. I suspect had someone shown him the dangers of mixed mode flight in the Simulator one week before this accident it would never have happened. This is an opportunity for real change in the methods and content of initial and recurrent training. I have some good ideas but I am just one man.

Somehow we need a forum and opportunity to collate, evaluate and conclude better. More effective and more beneficial ways to train. The CAA I believe recognise this themselves but it is we, the industry SMEs that must stand up and lead the way.

ZDB