PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2013, 05:10
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Cactus, I don't know exactly who will be the PM&C person who will destroy CASA, but I know the modus operandi.

The plan will look something like this:

Part 1: an economic analysis size and scope of the industry. That establishes the importance of Aviation to the country and its economy. Growth rates etc. potentials are included.

Part 2: a benchmarking exercise against other regulators - this again involves a major set of metrics - performance indicators. If this is done properly, it will answer the question of whether we have a real problem or you are all a pack of whingers.

********At this point the review can reach its first conclusion: Do we have a problem? How important is it to fix it? That tells us about how much time and resources can be invested to fix things.

part 3: the legislative framework

Part 4:CaSAs performance in discharging its legislative responsibilities.

Part 5: discussion and options for change.

Part 6: recommendations.

..at least that is the structure I would start with, but others may know better. The key is that it all needs to be kept in dry as dust academic economic discussion. The Quadrios of this world will be disappointed I think.

What has to be achieved is a change to the legislation to require CASA or its successor to take heed of fostering the industry - removing the "preventing aviation" option for discharging its responsibilities.

Anyway that's my two cents.