PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2013, 17:02
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bricquebec
We booked easyJet to Budapest with two checked bags, maximum 40kg. On the return we had 43kg, and were threatened with a penalty. So we took out 3kg (of shoes!) which went into my carry on bag. The agent then said that we could check in a third bag free of charge. So I carried my camera and Ipad and took advantage of the offer (this third bag now weighing 8kg). Where, pray, is the logic in that??

Anyone know how this fits with their regulations?
The agent probably would have gotten in trouble for checking in 2 bags with a total of 43KG when you are only allowed a combined weight of 40KG. To you it's only 3KG, but to the agent and their supervisor/station manager it is 3KG you aren't technically entitled to and is 3KG which could mean they get dragged up to the office for disciplinary action.

The agent was probably told, however, that on a busy flight hand baggage can be checked in free of charge (probably up to 10KG, or something which is no bigger than the standard COB allowance).

I admit it would have made more sense for the agent to say chuck the 3rd bag on FOC before you repacked it, but they are human after all and the waiving of the baggage fee may have slipped their mind and to save face may have decided not to tell yo once you were already repacking the bag. Either that or they didn't realise you had another bag suitable for the hold.

Last edited by edi_local; 30th Oct 2013 at 19:31.