PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot says Middle Eastern airline defamed, terminated him
Old 18th Oct 2013, 20:15
av8tordude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QR does not a have a written policy that forbids pilots from dating cabin crew. That being said, it is frown upon!

A little background history...

There is speculation that cabin crews have been caught sleeping while operating a flight. I can only conclude, after the company conducted an internal investigation as to why a cabin crew can be soo fatigue as to fall asleep while on duty, cabin crews were not getting the proper rest required before each flight (Cabin Safety Manuals requires cabin crew "take adequate rest before each flight"). If this is the case, this is a company violation and SAFETY ISSUE!

To ensure cabin crews are getting the proper rest before each flight, it is also my guess the company decided to implement procedures to reduce the self-inflicted fatigue cases cabin crews may have been experiencing (i.e. Curfews and no male vistors pass a certain night-time hour). It is speculated the company has not intruded upon anyone social behavior, but once a crew member performance comes into question, the company must take action.

Keep in mind, Qatar is a Muslim country, therefore certain social behaviors could potentially put you in conflict with Qatari Law (i.e. Co-habitation outside of marriage, Non-marital sex, etc). Qatar has the international right to take actions if a "crime" has been committed. I'm sure there are similar cases that don't make the news, but has happen in the past with QR or other Qatar companies.

In regards to MG case, it will be very difficult to win this case. the US govt will have to consider if MG has broken any Qatari Laws. Qatar does not have cooperate offices in the US, therefore QR is not bound to comply with any US employment laws. Only outcome I can see happening is public embarrassment to the company.
Another thing, Expats are not employees of a company, but Contractors. Therefore, one can not be "fired" from the company, but your contract can be terminated, therefore leaving you unemployed.

It will be an uphill battle. I wish him luck!

Last edited by av8tordude; 18th Oct 2013 at 20:31.