PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot suffers cardiac arrest in flight
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2013, 05:17
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Booting Fat Pilots?

I hear your concerns, Sir, Loud and clear. That said, events such as this one are exceedingly rare. And, there is always that second pilot available, not just an assistant, but fully qualified to drive the airplane.
Most physical health experts tell us that 'weight alone' is not an indicator of heart disease or a marker for an MI (heart attack). If this gentleman's DME certified him for a First Class medical, one can assume that his exam and labs suggested that he was worthy of his First Class ticket. DMEs and the Medical Branch in OK do n ot screw around with active, but marginal ATP-qualified First Class tickets. I See no reason to ban the 60-65 group without substantial evidence that they are unfit. Let's also remember that the 60-65 extension also requires that the second pilot be under age 60. I think that is enough protection for the flying public. Personally, I'm encouraged and feel safer when I see an 'older' pilot enter the cockpit. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the odd pilot of any age who is mentally unbalanced, as we saw with that fellow from JetBlue a while ago. The DME's examinations are physical, not mental. Short of self-reporting or multiple concerns expressed by flying colleagues, pilot's metal stability is almost never questioned. If any changes are necessary, I 'd suggest that some mental status screening tools be implemented. 'ya know...