PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning crash
Thread: Lightning crash
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2013, 20:53
Petrolhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
longer ron: we always used the airbrakes on landing as it increased the drag which meant we had more power on to give us better throttle response.

O_T_T_B : Yep remember it well - 11 May 1987, and a particularly crud day even for Binbrook. We were the only one airborne and all the way down the ILS they were calling it on limits. I took over as we broke out at 200'
(quote: "because I signed for it") and while adjusting to the centreline and getting it straight I ran out of aileron in a huge gust - full right stick and she is rolling left off the downwind side of the runway.

You don't normally find yourself looking at a vasi out the side window of a Lightning below 20 feet and I had had full side stick on for some time and she was still rolling, so the only thing I could think of left to do was take off the rudder. ( we were non-diversion - one go only). We bounced off the downwind-wheel at the edge of the runway and the bounce took us right back to the centreline where I pulled the brake-chute and taxied in. The Caravan called a wing strike but there were no scratch marks on it!

That night in the bar ( after a few stiff ones) I asked ATC why they had not called the real wind. Apparently because I had called "Precautionary" and they knew I had to land they decided not to tell me.

25 minutes in my log book - 5 seconds of it I will never forget

ps: If you really want to hear a good story, ask about the Mk3 that crashed on take-off and powered itself off the runway with no wheels down and the runway on fire.

Aahh W.I.W.O.L