PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation fiction books needed.
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2013, 10:21
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four very different books, but all excellent.

The Wind Beneath my Wings
By John Hutchinson, Concorde Pilot

Published by Speedman Press.

Capt Hutchinson started his flying career in the RAF and was then a corporate pilot for three years before joining BOAC. He was a 707 and 747 co-pilot, and then a captain on the VC10 before being selected to be a Concorde captain.
IMHO, a 'must read' for anyone interested in aviation generally and Concorde in particular.

A View from the Hover: My Life in Aviation
by John Farley

Published by Seager Publishing

A very readable account of the career of one of our most distinguished and highly respected test pilots, and a fascinating insight into an exciting era of aviation history.
John Farley has the rare gift of being able to explain the most technical matters in a way that can be understood even by those who, like me, are not naturally technically minded.

Highest Duty
By Capt Chesley Sullenberger

Capt Sullenberger relates what happened on the 15th January 2009 when he was forced to land an Airbus A320 on the Hudson River New York.
He comments on the current state of the airline industry with a particular emphasis on safety, and the sometimes conflicting interests of safety v cost-cutting.
Recommended to anyone in, or interested in, the aviation industry.

Apollo 13
By Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger

The full story of the moon shot that almost ended in catastrophe.
Through the brilliance and courage of Jim Lovell and his crew, improvising under conditions of extreme hardship and pressure, an almost certain catastrophe was averted and Apollo 13 was brought home safely, with Captain Lovell adjusting course manually by firing the lunar module’s thrusters and engine, using his watch for timing.
As inspiring today as it was more than thirty years ago.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...ir-pilots.html

FL