PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated easyjet recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2013, 01:25
Alexander de Meerkat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arctic Monkey - you said, AdM

"If Easy was offering a permanent contract as you so profusely testify then any company worth it's salt would put their employees on a permanent contract from day ONE and have it written into the contract that continuous employment is based on a 12 month probation. The whole idea of a "12 month" probation which then leads to a permanent contract is completely unnecessary and is nonsense. We all know why they are offering all these gradings - 12 month probation - 2 month SO - 12 month FO etc etc etc is purely to keep the cost down, nothing more, nothing less; that is their motive and you know it."

First of all, if you consider easyJet not a 'decent company worth its salt', you should not be thinking of joining us. Go to another company that is worth its salt and be happy there. Secondly, I disagree about the 12 month probation being too long - in reality there will be a handful of people who are not taken on, and there is no reason why everyone should not be. All you have to do is not be a dork and be competent at your job - it is really not that difficult. You will find the easyJet training system as benign and supportive as any you will come across in the industry. Finally, you are absolutely right - easyJet's intention is to keep down their costs - some would say that is good management. There is not a airline in the world looking to pay more than they have to just because they could. We are in a viciously competitive market with companies like Norwegian, Vueling and Ryanair breathing down our necks. In addition the legacy carriers are beginning to sort themselves out at last and start attacking their cost base. Therefore we need to keep a competitive advantage. That means we pay a little when you join and you work up from there, in what is essentially a seniority system in all but name. Love easyJet or hate them, they are an incredibly successful company who have made an increasing profit in some of the harshest economic conditions every single year of their existence - this year will be no exception. They offer a job security that is second to none. You will fly brand new aircraft to a range of destinations few other airlines can dream of. The vast majority of people you will fly with are great people. There are promotion opportunities that simply do not exist elsewhere. I am not trying to say that black is white, but I am trying to be realistic. Th is is not a perfect job , but it is a very good one, as many others are saying - I personally believe it is one of the top jobs in the airline industry other than working for a national carrier. Good luck to you if you can get that - but for everyone else this is as good as it gets.

I understand that many of you here think you are being robbed - that is fine, but do not come and work here. No one is going to enjoy your professional life for you - if you come here on Day One believing you are working for a rubbish company then that is what it will be. I go to work every day to enjoy myself and invariably do. Find the perfect company for you and go for it. This is supply and demand - if you are offered a job with us and turn it down, there are countless others who would step into your place and do it for even less than you are being offered. It is a harsh fact of life, but utterly true. I truly wish you all well in the decisions you have to take - my strong advice is to listen to some of the people out there who have been where you are and are glad they joined.