PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non type rated easyjet recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2013, 19:29
Sprinkles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although contacts at airlines such as Monarch were 75% seasonal contracts to start with, no?
No they're not. I was 100% full time from day one. As was everybody else whom have joined since. To the best of my knowledge. We have more than enough guys volunteering for part time deals.

For reference to others, during my flexi crew years I did between 700 - 750 hours per year and my lowest hours in a winter month were 25 and my highest in a winter month were 100.
For reference I flew less than 700 in my one year at easy. Happy to give my entire month by month breakdown if anyone asks for it.

As I have said before, I have found easyJet very fair , compassionate and supportive during my time here and I genuinely like the culture we have.
Different people but Management are anything but to cabin crew. I can argue it's probably the same in many airlines. On the flip side I did enjoy the experience I gained from working there. 99% the Capts and Crews were top notch excellent routes and brand new A/C. Just such a shame the terms and conditions are poor for new entrants with experience. I personally think the NEC for cadets is an improvement to what I started on. Well done to the guys for saying no to Merlin and getting something better. However I don't believe an NEC is appropriate for someone with 3,500+ hours experience in this environment.

Why are they not employing experienced guys on an easy pay scale in line with relative experience and factored hours? Because CTC and easy can make far more money charging the pilot for the cost of type rating and still operate with maximum flexibility and minimum risk that's why. I don't agree with that working practice, especially with guys with experience. It's less than ideal for cadets either but it's better than three years ago.

As a "final thought" it maybe worth considering this.
I have a number of good mates still at easy. Some of those that have recently been employed on permanent contracts or about to but are on a 75% basis. Full time during summer and two weeks on and two weeks off during winter. If most of the current flexi-crew pilots are only being offered 75% now, how confident will you be that 100% contracts will be available in 12-18 months time once you've completed a years service under flexi-screw?

Personally I would be very doubtful of seeing a 100% contract after being on flexi for a year. I would actually be very doubtful to see a permanent contract full stop. Be under no illusions guys. If easy do not require your services after being on a flexi crew contract they will not offer you a permanent position. In fact it was my understanding that you can now only do flexi crew for the maximum of a year under the NEC. If they don't need you after a year and you're not supposed to do it any longer you'll probably get two choices. Either voluntarily carry on as flexi or accept your 30 day notice. Not a risk I would want to take after spending £24k.

Now I admit the chances of being surplus to requirements after a year on flexi maybe slim. But if the airline (or other posters on here) are saying look at the bigger picture and long term. Why can't easy employee and bond you for three years? Like they used to do. If you don't meet the requirements then you'll be let go and as per the bond agreement you'll be asked to pay a portion of it back. I think most experienced pilots would be happy to sign that agreement.

Great place to work yes. Best deal easy could come up with, no.