PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo.
Thread: First solo.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2013, 21:45
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first solo in a powered aircraft was in a Bulldog at Marshall's in 1982. I remember it principally because my instructor (Flt Lt Vin Nadin - who some on here might well remember for various reasons!) never gave any indication that I was close to solo until, after a few dual circuits, he abruptly jumped out at the holding point for 24 with the only parting advice - "it'll climb a bit faster than me - just make sure you taxi back here to pick me up after your first landing". I set off too surprised to have any nerves, and flew my wobbly circuit, landed, and taxied back to the holding point to pick him up. Vin, of course, didn't last the five minutes or so for my circuit without lighting up his pipe, and as I was taxying back to pick him up he was tapping it out on the heel of his flying boot. I opened the canopy to let him in as he slipped his pipe back into its place in the top pocket of his grow-bag.

As we taxied back he was debriefing me with his usual begrudging praise when suddenly he slammed his feet on the toe-brakes, shouted "STTOPPP", threw back the canopy of the Bulldog, unbuckled and bailed out over the starboard wing.

Somewhat bewildered, and thinking this was some hidden agenda on the "first solo test" I carried on taxying, leaving Vin writhing around on the airfield grass behind me doing somersaults and frantically beating his chest. I'd only taxied ten metres or so when he stood up, ran back, jumped back on the wing and climbed back in. Without saying a word more, we taxied back to the ops room for the debrief.

It wasn't until a few days later that I learnt that he hadn't fully extinguished his pipe before putting it back in the top pocket of his grow-bag, and that these were not as fire-proof against hot tobacco ash as one might suppose....