PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 Retirement
Thread: VC10 Retirement
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2013, 04:35
Davita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Savannah Jet
Thank you so much for these pictures...I'm sitting in my villa in Bali which seems a million miles from where you took the pics...but you've managed to bring me there.

I was one of the first batch of crew (Air Eng) to train at BOAC on the RAF VC10 and, after a couple of years on 10 Sqn as the VIP crew, became i/c Air Eng training in the original VC10 Sim.
I left the RAF and UK in 1974 and thought I'd never see the 10 again.

A couple of years ago, I was driving past Vancouver airport, where I then lived, when this roar occurred. I recognized the noise and pulled over...my wife was confused so I said "please wait', or words to that effect and, sure enough, this mighty VC10 with roaring Conways went over my head leaving a tell tale smoke....tears were running down my cheeks, as they are now.

I think I recognize, in your pic of the landing, the background is the Brize Officer's mess behind the porta-potty....if so that climaxes my nostalgia as I used to park my Isetta bubble car right in front before spending many pleasurable hours in the bar. I lived in the (new then) modular built married M.Qtrs a short path around the back but enjoyed sqeezing that crazy car between others, and stepping out, as the door opened in the front.

I have the standard framed pic of XV 104 in storage somewhere...it will soon be given a more 'pride of place' location.

Thank you again for enabling my emotional day and I'm also grateful to all the other contributors to this VC10 thread....for restoring those memories.

Friday 20 Sept 2013....A sad but yet beautiful day to remember.....and your pictures will keep that memory alive.