PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 15th Sep 2013, 10:07
S76Heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Keitll: apologies, did not mean black/white choices just worded poorly. Appropriate level of automation is indeed what I am after; and sometimes that boils down to hand flying (either assisted by the AP/SAS system or not, depending on the system).

As far as cockpit gradient is concerned: as a Line Trainer I stress the fact that I am very capable of making my own mistakes and therefore they have the duty to speak up if they are not happy. Mostly I try to be humorous about it to avoid any tension, saying something like "Don't kill me and don't allow me to kill you".

When correcting errors I make an effort to keep the emotions out and calmly discuss events later. Ensure the safey of the flight, the rest is secondary. Every error, after correction, is first and foremost an opportunity to learn. That also goes for my own errors, and whenever they have corrected me I am very happy with their performance and tell them so.

There is never any doubt about who is in charge on the flight, so my attitude does not diminish the capability to take decisions, very quickly if required. But it also helps to create an open atmosphere where my copilot feels safe to monitor my actions, and act if required.

Guys, this is a great discussion and a shame it needed a fatal accident to generate it.