PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ambulance in UK
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2013, 08:06
jayteeto

Location: Liverpool based Geordie, so calm down, calm down kidda!!
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Crab, congratulations! Your last statement is the 100% correct way that crews should operate................... However..............
You have served (i know) with multiple military agencies and they are no different to the NHS. The best way is not always the done thing. Until recently, all paramedics plus the helimed crews up here were operating to a crazy system. They COULD NOT pass the nearest a&e department with a patient, even though they knew 100% that, after an assessment, the patient would be moved (eg, a burns unit). This affected long term outcomes.
Cut to this year, the trauma pathway is in place. Not perfect, but a million times better. A trauma cell in the control room looks at the bigger jobs and gives instructions to the crews on hospital choice. They are not on the spot, but experience of how road crews operate (and human nature) allows me to fully support this concept........ Even if spare beds and waiting times are factored in.
A crew faced with major trauma will naturally want to go to the nearest hospital to 'get rid' of the problem, or will want to get off on time, or any of a number of other reasons. More importantly, we find that when on scene, they listen to us if a job is not as bad (or is worse) than they think. They are flexible.
I understand that after your years of experience, you dont like being taught how to suck eggs, but the system is aimed at the lowest common denominator. We are finding it to be a huge step forward.

Last edited by jayteeto; 12th Sep 2013 at 08:08.