PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 9th Sep 2013, 09:13
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
I can think of one operator that has done

One huge difference between RW and FW - which HC has alluded to - is that FW manufacturers produce SOPs and FCOMs which, with minor variations, are common accross operators for the type. RW manufactures tell you what switches you need move to start and shutdown the thing, and then leave it to the operators to figure out how they are actually going to 'run the show.'
Airliner manufacturers are very likely to have members if their flight test team that have operated their airliners to and from international airports etc(!).

Helicopter manufacturers typically have no-one at all in their flight test teams who have ever flown offshore. Typically they are ex military test pilots and engineers who have left the mil and gone straight to the manufacturer. As far as I am aware the only such people in EC who have been offshore are the 3 that I have personally taken. So anyone who thinks the manufacturer is best placed to define operating procedures for roles in which they have zero experience is wrong.