PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 9th Sep 2013, 08:18
Kakpipe Cosmonaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab and DB are on the money!
There is an area of our industry that has gone through this process (very painfully and is still learning).
Around 7 years ago Boeing, in conjunction with NASA, had a major review of their procedures. This resulted in a rewrite of checklists and SOPs which many people saw as unnecessary. I believe, once you have bought in to their philosophy is successful.
So I, once again, would recommend that the movers and shakers of the NS go and look at how the airlines do it; the attitudes, culture and procedures, and pick out the bits that can be applied.
There are plenty of ex-NS guys who are in senior management/training positions in the airlines (not me) who I feel sure would offer a great deal in this area.
You will find that briefing are kept relevant, checklists are safety nets, SOPs are rigid but offer scope to be modified at Capt.'s discretion, and a culture that reinforces that.
Unfortunately when Operators feel they know better how to fly aircraft than the designers and builders, that's when problems arise. (Asiana 777 at SFO)