PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVFR Equipment and Lighting requirements
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2013, 02:41
murch21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, but I'm not convinced...

Argument 1:
I agree with your comments: Night VMC does not imply any specific rules (VFR or IFR). BUT, it does not "indirectly imply that VMC is not IFR".

If night V.M.C. was meant to be taken as night VFR, then Appendix V would simply be called "Electric lighting equipment for flight at night"

If we look at appendix III, IFR charter aircraft must follow these more stringent instrument requirements (Except night V.M.C). If for example he was to make a flight at night under IFR but one of his altimeters failed, then he would need to remain in V.M.C (But can still plan and follow the Instrument Flight Rules if he wished) because his instrument requirements are now covered by appendix IV

Argument 2:
I appreciate you taking the time to reference the CAR VMC and VFR definitions. But the major point I think we are missing is that IFR aircraft can also fly in VMC condtions but must still follow the INSTRUMENT Flight Rules (Unless the PIC decides to change to VFR and notifies the proper ATS).

By flying in VMC conditions, does not imply that you are to follow Visual Flight Rules at all.

MTE, The CAR 174A (2) states the lighting requiements for VFR flight at night...