PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2013, 02:48
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
If the new government is serious about changing the direction of aviation policy then create an aviation ministry and not lump it with transport and regional services. It is too easy for governments of all persuasions to palm off aviation policy under the transport umbrella and the Minister to claim that there are more important issues. The consensus seems to be that aviation policy started to deteriorate 25 years ago, doesn't that coincide with the absorbtion of aviation into the transport portfolio?

A Minister for Aviation will only need to focus on one thing and not be able to dodge thorny issues like Senate Inquiries. An aviation minister would also be able to keep his public servants in line and not given the "safety" runaround as an answer to all attempts to change the status quo. At least having a separate ministry would allow the Deputy PM to maintain the Transport and Regional Services portfolio and allow someone like Senator Fawcett to have a portfolio that matches his experience.

I still maintain that we won't see any changes until mid next year at the earliest. If I am wrong I will be pleasantly surprised.