PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The VC 10
Thread: The VC 10
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2013, 12:46
WH904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have very fond memories of the mighty VC10. As a jobbing writer and photographer I spent many hours lurking at the windows photographing receivers. The C1 had pretty grim windows in its latter years and the former airliner aircraft were easier to get a clearer photo from, but sitting in the freezing cold was never much fun. I think the most enjoyable flight was a Birthday flypast rehearsal, running in over Wittering with two Tornados off the wing tips. Back along the empty fuselage the Conways were kicking out some delightful tunes as the throttles were jiggled back and forth to maintain the perfect formation. Just a real delight!

I also recall a great evening take-off from Al Jubail, with a very commendable steep climb for the benefit of some observers. Good to see just what a sprightly aircraft the VC10 could be, given an opportunity.

It's very sad to be losing what is, in many respects, the RAF's very last "real" aeroplane. Computer whizzery is all very nice but for an enthusiast it's no substitute for great design, engineering and nostalgia!