PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Woman RAF officer joins top military brass
Old 27th Aug 2013, 16:43
MPN11

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 Forward 6 Back
Rather than complaining that she's not the first 2-star in the RAF, modern or otherwise, can't we just celebrate the fact that an evidently well-liked and talented RAF officer is currently the most senior woman in the armed forces, royalty excepted?
Not really, as the RAF was broadly gender-neutral, IME, apart from the Master Race of course. She just happens to be a good chap with a lumpy jumper, and I would say no more than that.

Originally Posted by Wrathmonk
There was a good reason for that....boy, the shelves must have been big in ATC
There were the Good, the Bad and the Ugly … and the Rather Overweight. But IME very few utter dogs. The Flying Prevention Branch tended to attract ladies with personality and an affinity to aviation. And, apart from one incompetent cow, I never had any problem with them - from LAC upwards.

As a bit of "reverse polarity", I 'acquired' an ex-Admin Sec as a first-tourist flt lt ATCO - a very late transfer of Branches. She was under confident at first, so having shovelled her through the training mill I gave her a few months - and then selected her for training as a Watch Supervisor. She protested … "I'm a first tourist" I wasn't interested … she had the brains and the maturity. Some 3-6 months later, she was a superb Watch Sup. Cheers, Liz