PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Aug 2013, 09:10
lostinp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one who has been associated with military helicopters since the Vietnam era and now working in the offshore industry and sometimes spend time riding in the back seats of said helicopters may I put in my five cents worth.

I recently flew out of the Shetlands and during the preflight briefing not one mention of what to do in the event of a ditching ie How to don you rebreather etc. I went through all this during my HUET 3 years ago but ones memory tends to gather cobwebs after a rime.

What I think should happen is a more robust preflight briefing where all this is information is demonstrated. During any operation that involves a risk offshore we have to fill out JSA;s and have toolbox talks where every risk is discussed and what preventative measures must be taken. An extra ten minutes briefing may have saved some or all the lives lost in this accident.

Lastly my insurance company will not cover me for helicopter rides offshore. If helicopter flight is so safe why is this?