PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 24th Aug 2013, 14:55
That lights normal!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TLN - moving map? Well worth spending lots of dosh on to show a big screen of blue north sea! Anyway lots of airframes now have EGPWS map displays, and Nav displays showing waypoints and navaids. Can you explain what contribution a moving map display would bring to the party?
I'd suggest a moving map GPS or linked Multi Function Display would bring 21st Century situational awareness to the party. Say while conducting an instrument approach.
We probably would accept that two fixed card ADFs are all you NEED, but if safety is "Number one priority" anything which dramatically improves SA should surely be on the agenda.

If I was an oil company aviation advisor - I'd advise that no workers are to fly in an AC without a useful MFD - capable of displaying all approach procedures.

"Lots of airframes" so equipped, doesn't change the fact that many also are not.

"Lots of dosh" compared to what? Doing nothing?

I'm not suggesting for a second that loss of SA contributed to this tragedy. Simply commenting on the "Safety is number one priority" statement, and giving one example where cost saving is number one.