PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Woman RAF officer joins top military brass
Old 23rd Aug 2013, 17:59
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Riley

I guess in a few years this kind of appointment will not even feature in the press -women have been at the highest level in business for years - the RAF still has a little way to go.
Quite...I am really pleased for AVM West and it sounds like she has the respect of many (I don't know her, but I'll accept her references! ). However, how much longer do we have to put up with "first female to" headlines? Surely, we're long past all of this now? We've come a long way since Emmeline Pankhurst (thank God) but we must stop the constant publicity - if nothing else, if I were female I would find it a bit patronising!

As for the campaign medals, she is not alone as there are many currently serving (of all branches) who have never been in the position to qualify for one. Still, does she need to have one if she is an infra-whizz as so many have pointed out? I would rather have a competent individual at the helm of DIO than a scribbly with a chest full of campaign gongs who's run A1/J1 Ops in a comfy air conditioned portacabin somewhere!

Congratulations, AVM West from a fellow officer

LJ

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 23rd Aug 2013 at 18:01.