PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lt Cdr Martin 'Jack' London MBE QCBA
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2013, 08:58
Edmund Spencer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, here's a good one.
Jack and I went through RAF Valley together on the Hawk.
We had all been down to the pub after a fairly hectic Friday afternoon "barrel" in the mess. Jack seemed to have hollow legs but I swear he had had at least 7 or 8 pints during the evening but seemed totally unaffected! He was driving quite briskly back to base at the end of the evening with us in another car in short trail. In those days he drove an incredibly clapped out Renault (I think).
Speeding around a corner which happened to be the well known location of a "Viet Taff" pub he broadsided some poor bloke pulling out of the pub car park. Jack stopped to see what the damage was but on seeing a mass exodus from the pub of extremely irate Viet Taff decided the best thing to do was make a break for it!. He was quickly chased down by some more Viet Taff who had by now got in their vehicles and hauled back to the pub car park for reckoning. I distinctly remember thinking things were about to get really ugly.
Luckily, at that moment the police turned up and both Jack and the guy he had driven in to were promptly breathalized.
Incredibly, Jack passed!!! The other guy didn't!
Never seen anything like it. We quickly went on our way and gave the area a wide berth for the next few months.
ES

Last edited by Edmund Spencer; 20th Aug 2013 at 11:49.