Old 16th Aug 2013, 21:41
Buggington

Ben,

I'm someone who's a couple of years further down the line from you - I'm eighteen and making the decision on whether or not to become a pilot. I've been looking into it and researching it for over two years.

I don't know how much you know, but there are two main ways of training - integrated and modular. A quick search on this forum will reveal that the advantages and disadvantages of each have been discussed again and again and again.

This person you're talking about has done it (or at least started doing it) through the modular route, meaning that they can do things in stages, stopping and starting and paying as they go. This is cheaper, but airlines don't like it as much because the training normally hasn't been done in one hit.

CTC and OAA tend to do Integrated courses - in other words, nought to pilot in eighteen months. All the training done in one hit, costing about 20k more. Airlines tend to prefer this route.

Doing your PPL and then going through to CTC or OAA would be kind of like mixing these two up. That being said, CTC offer a discount for those who have a PPL already, so it might be helpful. Note that the National Private Pilot's Licence (NPPL) doesn't count towards it, and you may make use of it on your own.

That being said, there is no way that having a PPL could be a disadvantage, assuming you have the money for it.

While you're thinking about becoming a pilot, look into the costs of training (it's not cheap, but in the last month there has been a change to the system which means you can put up to 42k on the student loans system - this is just over half the cost of the basic training - a CTC Wings Integrated course will set you back 69,000) and the starting salaries of pilots.

Hope this helps - sorry for the essay

Last edited by Buggington; 16th Aug 2013 at 21:48.