PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: CASA Regulatory Reform
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2013, 22:00
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Where most of the problems lie, I believe, is that there is no standardization within the regulator as to what the the correct interpretation is, witnessed by the various interpretations of various AWI's and FOI's.
I think you're spot on there, Thorn Bird. I wonder how rigorous the work is to frame some regulations, and what records of the reasoning and basis behind them are kept, let alone published? It's an old problem, and not limited to CASA, of course - a rule exists, but unless you're the one who wrote it you don't necessarily know the 'whys' behind it, leading to various interpretations being applied by different people.
I know it would add complexity to the production of new regs if this stuff (reasoning and underlying intent) had to be documented and made available to the end users in clear language, but it would surely save a lot of angst down the track.

But is it lawful, ie; if you comply exactly with type of publication you mention, that CASA produces, such as a CAAP or AC, will you be in compliance.
Very good point. I guess the caveat has to be, look at the guide material to point the way, and then go to the regulations to ensure your proposed operation complies, as much as you possibly can without knowing what was in their minds when they wrote the stuff.