PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadetship 2012 & 2013
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2013, 12:06
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Some Perspective!

During my climb up the G/A slippery slope, progress went something like this.
  • Scraping together enough money each week just to get my arse into a 2 seat trainer. working 2, sometimes 3 jobs.
  • Discovering at the end that the ratio of freshly minted CPL's to available jobs was in the order of around 20:1!
  • 4 years networking, private flying to stay current, more money for type ratings, and finally casual employment, but still not enough to pay the bills or to build a life, all the while still working in a job I hated.
  • Finally after 6 years, a fulltime gig, well Casual but regular work. Company went broke 6 months later. back to labouring. Still paying to fly to stay current.
  • Previous contacts and friends paid off. Gradually moved back into flying. Eventually 5-6 days a week, charter then RPT, casual still, and being paid about the same as one of my labouring gigs. Best time of my life. Wife then left me!
  • Company folded after a crash. Back to labouring!
  • After 3 months digging ditches, a previous Chief Pilot informed me that a new player in Bank Runs was starting up. Because of a string of prangs in recent years, the prime contractor had stipulated a minimum of 1000 hours Multi experience. All this to fly a fleet of clapped out Barons, 5 days a week for the princely sum of $880 per fortnight! I jumped at it.
  • 18 months later I received the call from the predecessor of my current employer and was successful. Position, First Officer on a Regional Turboprop.
  • Total time from first entering the wonderful world of aviation to achieving what this thread is all about, 9 years.
My journey is not unique, some made it in quicker time, many never made it at all. The point is, no matter what obstacles are in your way, you will either persevere, or fail. It's as simple as that.

Good luck all.

Last edited by KRUSTY 34; 13th Aug 2013 at 12:56.