PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 293 Sqn and Sgt J Lewis
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2013, 18:30
beachy1956

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "un-named armourer"

Hi
My dad was visiting today and we were watching a dvd about the history of the airforce. Whilst watching, I though I'd do a bit of searching on the internet and low and behold, your pictures turned up. We were both SO amazed to see the photos of my dad the "un-named armoured" who set the plane on fire! He also has a much smaller picture of the plane, nowhere near as good as yours. My dad is Jack Colston, now 91 years of age, living in Hampshire. He was so thrilled to see all the pictures and remembered many of the faces, but not many names! ..... just one or two. If anyone out there remembers him, it would be lovely to hear from you. He remembers very fondly his time in the RAF and as children, we often heard the story about the plane. Fortunately, as it wasn't his fault he wasn't severely reprimanded, maybe also due to the fact that he was a very good sportsman. He said today that he used to be ferried around in a plane to get to the football matches! When I took him home, we found all his old photos from that time, so I will scan and post some of the better ones. A lot are very small, one of which is the whole squadron which you also posted. By the way, he is fourth from left in the bottom row on the photo in front of the plane. Fantastic!