PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB reports
Thread: ATSB reports
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 13:48
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No just any pilot or engineer can just walk in the ATSB's front door and start generating suitable reports, it takes years of experience - even for highly experienced pilots and engineers
Not criticising the above comment but it was different in the RAAF back in another life decades ago. With the rank of Squadron Leader I had just been posted to Directorate of Flying Safety at Department of Air, Canberra - and had been there a few days. My elderly and decorated Wing Commander boss (he had flown obsolete and out-gunned Brewster Buffalo fighters against the Japs during the war), says come into my office. He says a Macchi has just gone down near East Sale and two are dead. Get down there asap and give me a report within three days in case there are political issues. A Court of Inquiry has been convened and are there now.

But Sir...I haven't had any training.

Use your initiative my boy and get going.

But, but, Sir, how do I get to East Sale?

Use your bloody initiative boy...get a Dakota or something from Fairbairn. NOW,ON YOUR WAY!

It was called on the job training in those days. Not ideal but it worked most of the time. There were no FDR or CVR's. Just an experienced engineer usually and a pilot that used his initiative and flying experience to speculate how an accident happened. Mostly it was obvious. The more leisurely Court of Inquiry would have their completed report published within a month, normally.

Last edited by A37575; 2nd Aug 2013 at 14:00.