PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Did You Do In The Cold War, Daddy?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2013, 19:11
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like many, I was fiercely proud to be part of RAFG, for my part being at RAF Gutersloh. My personal contribution was at the end of the Cold War, being in Germany from 1986 to mid 1990. What part did we play?

We worked hard, but enjoyed it. I don't recollect many people monking or bitching about this and that. We would drink regularly and heavily. We would happily roll out of an all night Sgts & WOs Mess vs. Officers' Mess games night straight into Taceval. We would ensure that each field deployment diverted a 4 tonne truck to Martkauf for 'supplies'.

Equally, we flew hard. The two Harrier squadrons would each launch 16-ship waves, four times a day. 230 and 18 would fly equally hard. Inevitably, some of us died. In one relatively short period we lost half a dozen aircraft and a similar number of aircrew (Ada, Suds, John Carver, Jim Mac, Pete Stone and Phil Brewer spring to mind).

As far as the war was concerned, we were under no illusion that it would be bloody and we would probably be sacrificed but didn't overly worry about it. In hindsight, I think we believed in 'stability' of the status quo. Personally, the only worry I had was the thought of a long and painful death having got my NBC drill wrong.

I remember the Staish (Ian Stewart) briefing us all in the Mess shortly after the Wall came down. He clearly described how he didn't know what the short-term would bring but he offered that there would be a decade of global instability; that decade has not yet finished.

Was it a war? Not for many of us although some were doing very brave and important things. Most were ready to do the same. Would I go back? God, yes. It was the most stimulating, enjoyable and worthwhile part of my life. Do we deserve medals? No.